PD Dr. Steffen Borgwardt
| Zentrum Mathematik
Technische Universität München
D-85747 Garching bei München
Further details on postal address
- Since September 2015 I work as a Privatdozent.
- My habilitation on "Data Analysis through Polyhedral Theory" was completed in early 2015.
- I was a visiting assistant professor at UC Davis from September 2014 to August 2015. Here is a link to my old homepage at UC Davis. Thank you to the Humboldt Foundation and the Feodor-Lynen program for this opportunity.
- We won the EEPA 2013 (European Excellence in Practice Award) with our work on "Geometric clustering for the consolidation of farmland and woodland"! "We" means a joint work with Prof. Gritzmann and Prof. Brieden.
- In the winter term 2013/14, I worked as an acting professor at the Institut für Mathematische Optimierung of the TU Braunschweig.
Research Projects and InterestsMy scientific work is based on the study of high-dimensional objects, which are derived from geometric modeling techniques for practical optimization problems arising in clustering or logistics. The geometric properties of these objects contain information about the combinatorial structure of the problem, and therefore show approaches for practical algorithmic solutions. The various diameters of polyhedra are important here and one of my current fields of research. A second focus lies in application-driven work on optimization methods for the analysis of big data. It covers topics such as clustering under constraints, multiclass classification, and optimal transportation plans.
- Lead of project ArborTec of the Bayerische Staatsministerium für Ernährung, Landwirtschaft und Forsten (1.4.2012 - 15.9.2013). This project is the "woodland" part of the EEPA and our large-scale application of the methods!
- Clustering Models and Algorithms for Land Consolidation
- Geometric and Constrained Clustering: Gravity Bodies and Power Diagrams
- Data Analytics
- Barycenters and Optimal Transportation Plans
- Diameters of Polyhedra
- Combinatorial Optimization in Life Science
- Software Engineering
PublicationsSee my CV for an uptodate list.
- Steffen Borgwardt (2015) Data Analysis through Polyhedral Theory, cumulative Habilitation thesis
- Steffen Borgwardt (2010) A Combinatorial Optimization Approach to Constrained Clustering, Ph.D. thesis
TeachingSee my CV for an uptodate list.
|Alexander Kampmeier||On the computation of local and global optima for soft power diagrams||master thesis||2014|
|Michael Heptner||l_p-norm Voronoi diagrams||bachelor thesis||2014|
|Philipp Fröhlich||Support Vector Machines and the Kernel trick||bachelor thesis||2013|
|Gabriel Anzer||On the best number of clusters||bachelor thesis||2013|
|Andrej Winokurow||Norm maximization over gravity polytopes||master thesis||2012|
|Philipp Krenz||Hierarchical Clustering||bachelor thesis||2012|
|Christoph Bolkart||Clustering with Instance-level Constraints||bachelor thesis||2011|
|Martin Zach||Zellzerlegungen und Least-Squares Assignments für die aquatische Ökologie||diploma thesis||2011|
|Gabriel Guckenbiehl||Hierarchische Clustering-Verfahren||scientific internship||2010|
|Jakob Engel||Cluster-Kategorisierung von Sedimentproben in der aquatischen Ökologie||interdisciplinary project||2010|
|Felix Schmiedl||Packing und Covering von skalierten polytopalen Einheitskugeln||diploma thesis||2009|
|Andreas Lechner||Shaped Partitioning||diploma thesis||2009|
|Martin Meinel||Clusterings, Voronoi Diagrams and Separability||interdisciplinary project||2008|