Case Studies Discrete Optimization (MA4512)
combined lecture and project work coursesupported through study contributions%SBBANNER%
|Dozierende:||Michael Ritter, Wolfgang Riedl, Paul Stursberg|
|weekly hours:||4 hours|
|ECTS credits:||7 (now officially confirmed!)|
- August 19th, 2013: In case you are interested in the results of the final evaluation, here are the results: MA_4512_Case_Studies:_Discrete_Optimization_DozentIn.pdf. The file may be accessed with the same login/password data that you can use to access the course materials. The results will also be published by Fachschaft MPI at some later time. Thank you for the great feedback and especially for your valuable comments - these will definitely help us improve the course.
- Photos from both TUMMS and SCoNDO IV are available (with a password protection) at http://www-m9.ma.tum.de/material/fotos/tumms-2013 and http://www-m9.ma.tum.de/material/fotos/scondo-2013, respectively. The password is the same that you can use to access the protected material on this site.
- June 23rd, 2013: Please remember to register for the exam in 'Case Studies (Discrete Optimization)' via TUMOnline no later than June 30th, 2013. Registration is mandatory for participation in the final workshop. If you have any problems registering, please contact us.
- June 23rd, 2013: Details on the final workshop will be posted on the conference website at http://www-m9.ma.tum.de/SS2013/SCoNDO. Please refer to that site for important due dates regarding the conference.
- Mar 25, 2013: Save the date: The final workshop for the case studies courses will be on Saturday, July 13th, while the poster presentation will be on Thursday, May 23rd. Please be sure to keep these days free, attendance is absolutely mandatory.
- Mar 6, 2013: As part of an effort to offer master's courses in English, this website is in the process of being translated into English. In the meantime, please excuse the German/English language mix.
- Feb 8, 2013: A slightly shortened version of the preliminary meeting's slides is available for download below.
- Jan 28, 2013: This semester, we offer an optional companion seminar for the case studies, see here for further information.
Preliminary MeetingA preliminary meeting took place on February 8, 2013. A slightly shortened version of the slides used in the preliminary meeting covering most of the important information is available for download here. If you have any questions that are not answered on the slides nor on this website, please contact Michael Ritter at michael.rittertum.de.
RegistrationRegistration is possible until March 1st, 2013, it is mandatory and binding. To register, please write a short mail to michael.rittertum.de providing the following information:
- last name, first name
- curriculum (of your master's studies)
- ranking of the projects (which do you find most interesting, which would be a good alternative etc.); please rank all five projects.
- list of optimization related lectures that you have attended (for lectures from other faculties or univiersities, please give a short description of the topics covered so that we know about your expertise in the field)
- programming skills (programming languages and other programming related skills)
- persons you would like to work with as a team
- If you are registered for the companion seminar please be sure to mention that in your mail.
Poster Presentation and Final WorkshopPlease be sure to reserve the following dates (attendance is absolutely mandatory):
- "TUMMS" on Thursday, May 23rd, 2013 (poster presentation, 12:00 to 15:00 hours)
- final workshop on Saturday, July 13th, 2013 (whole day)
Course ScheduleThe course is scheduled to take place Tuesdays and Fridays from 10:15 to 11:45 hours during the semester in room MI 00.09.022.
|Fri, Feb 08||14:15||MI 02.04.011||preliminary meeting|
|Tue, Apr 16||10:15 - 11:45||MI 00.09.022||first meeting: teams and projects|
|Fri, Apr 19||10:15 - 11:45||MI 00.09.022||team presentations, project planning|
|Tue, Apr 23||10:15 - 11:45||MI 00.09.022||poster design|
|Fri, Apr 26||10:15 - 11:45 Uhr||MI 00.09.022||presentation of project schedules|
|Tue, Apr 30||10:15 - 11:45||MI 00.09.022||case study: train unit assignment|
|Fri, May 03||10:15 - 11:45||MI 00.09.022||case study: train unit assignment|
|Tue, May 07||10:15 - 11:45||MI 00.09.022||case study: train unit assignment|
|Fri, May 10||no lecture ("Brückentag")|
|Tue, May 14||no lecture (SVV)|
|Wed, May 15||hand in posters for printing|
|Fri, May 17||10:15 - 11:45||MI 00.09.022||internal poster presentation|
|Tue, May 21||no lecture (holiday) — hand in posters for printing|
|Thu, May 23||12:00 - 15:00||MI main hall||poster presentation at TUMMS|
|Fri, May 24||10:15 - 11:45||MI 00.09.022||case study: train unit assignment|
|Tue, May 28||10:15 - 11:45||MI 00.09.022||Cutting Plane Methods|
|Fri, May 31||no lecture ("Brückentag")|
|Tue, June 04||10:15 - 11:45||MI 00.09.022||SOS, Constraint Branching|
|Fri, June 07||10:15 - 11:45||MI 00.09.022||Slide Design|
|Tue, June 11||10:15 - 11:45||MI 00.09.022||Presentation, Symmetry Issues, Branching Rules|
|Fri, June 14||10:15 - 11:45||MI 00.09.022||Relaxation Techniques|
|Tue, June 18||10:15 - 11:45||MI 00.09.022||no lecture (prepare your midterm talks!)|
|Fri, June 21||10:15 - 11:45||MI 00.09.022||Feedback & Midterm Presentations I|
|Tue, June 25||10:15 - 11:45||MI 00.09.022||Feedback & Midterm Presentations II|
|Fri, June 28||10:15 - 11:45||MI 00.09.022||tba|
|Tue, July 02||10:15 - 11:45||MI 00.09.022||tba|
|Sat, Jul 13||tba||HS 0606 (TUM Main Campus, Downtown Munich)||Final Workshop|
Slides and additional material
- download and setup instructions for using Xpress: xpress-ssh.pdf
April 19, 2013: Project Planning
- Slides used in the lecture: projektplanung-handout.pdf
April 23, 2013: Poster Design
- Slides used in the lecture: slides-poster.pdf
April 30, May 3, May 7, May 242013: Case Study
May 28, 2013: Cutting Plane Methods
June 4, 2013: Special Ordered Sets and Constraint Branching
|Lecture notes for SOS and constraint branching|
|Slides for the introduction of SOS 2|
|Slides for the introduction of constraint branching|
|Worksheet for constraint branching|
June 7, 2013: Slide Design
|Slides on slide design|
|Students' redesigned slides|
June 11, 2013: Branching and Symmetry Issues
|Worksheet on pseudocost branching|
|Worksheet on strong branching|
|Original paper on branching strategies|
|Slides on symmetry issues|
June 14, 2013: Relaxation Techniques
|Slides on relaxation basics and notation|
|Worksheets on relaxation techniques|
|Worksheets on ATSP-PC examples for relaxation techniques|
|Slides on the additive bounding procedure and solutions for the examples|
June 21 and 25, 2013: Mitdterm Presentations
- For the midterm presentations, each team will have 20 minutes for the talk, including discussions.
- You are completely free in your choice of presentation form, visual material (slides, blackboard, etc.).
- Which team members actually give the presentation is also up to you to decide. In particular, there is no requirement that every team member must give part of the presentation (as opposed to the final presentation).
- The language of your presentation can either be English or German (again, as opposed to the final presentation, where English will be mandatory).
- You will receive a brief structured feedback from the audience immediately following your talk. If you wish, you can (as a team) also schedule a short feedback discussion with us.
- We will record your talk on video for you to watch and enhance your presentation skills. Each talk will exclusively be available to the team giving the talk. If you do not wish for your talk to be recorded, please tell us until this Friday, June 14th.
- No grades will be given for your midterm presentations, so you are completely free to experiment.
|Friday, June 21|
|10:15 - 10:45||structured feedback and feedback forms|
|10:45 - 11:05||talk "Operation Room Management"|
|11:05 - 11:15||feedback|
|11:15 - 11:35||talk "University Timetabling"|
|11:35 - 11:45||feedback|
|Tuesday, June 25|
|10:15 - 10:35||talk "Flight Scheduling"|
|10:35 - 10:45||feedback|
|10:45 - 11:05||talk "Gear Train Optimization"|
|11:05 - 11:15||feedback|
|11:15 - 11:35||talk "Traffic Infrastructure"|
|11:35 - 11:45||feedback|