Advanced Methods in Combinatorial Optimization
Seminar for Master Students
- Jan 12, 2015: Registration for the seminar will start on TUMOnline on January 12, 2015. Please register no later than January 17, 2015. A second round of registrations will take place January 26th - February 1st, 2015, provided there are places left for the seminar. If you also want to participate in the course Case Studies in Discrete Optimization, please e-mail me at michael.rittertum.de. You will then be given preference for the seminar (provided you actually sign up for the Case Studies until Feb 1, 2015).
| Registration for the seminar is mandatory, there is a limited number of participants. Students who also wish to participate in this year's Case Studies in Discrete Optimization will be given priority. Registration for the seminar will start on January 12, 2015 on TUM-Online (search for the module number "MA6015_008" among the examination dates), please register until January 17, 2015. If you also want to participate in the course Case Studies in Discrete Optimization, please e-mail me at michael.rittertum.de so that I can give you priority on your seminar registration.
While the seminar is geared primarily towards students taking the course "Case Studies in Discrete Optimization" (MA4512) during the summer term 2015, is certainly is open to other participants.
In this seminar, we will study a variety of practically relevant solution techniques for selected problems in combinatorial optimization. Many topics extend techniques discussed in the courses "Combinatorial Optimization" and/or "Discrete Optimization", but we will also study some specific applications and the methods used there in detail. We will stress a thorough development of the theoretical background in addition to application specific aspects.
For students that also take the "Case Studies" course, the seminar topics will be selected to complement the hands-on work that they will focus on in the case studies course. Topics will be selected according to participants' backgrounds and in particular with respect to the projects of the case studies course if applicable.
Talks and Schedule
We will generally meet in room MI 02.04.011
for our presentations.
| Date and Time
| April 16, 14:00
|| Organisation and Introduction
|| Michael Ritter and seminar participants
| April 23, 14:15
|| Branching Techniques
|| Sebastian Grünwald
| April 30, 14:15
|| Symmetry Issues in Combinatorial Optimization
|| Susanne Huber
| May 07, 14:15
|| Column Generation, Branch & Price and Decomposition
|| Manuel Frieß & Sandro Kiehl
| May 21, 14:15
|| Semidefinite Programming, Semidefinite Relaxations, MaxCut
|| Fin Bauer und Stefan Heidekrüger
| May 28, 14:15
|| Lift & Project Cuts
|| David Dillmann
| June 11, 14:15
|| Approximation Algorithms for the Traveling Salesman Problem
|| Michael Engesser
| June 18, 14:15
|| The Vehicle Routing Problem: Exact Algorithms and Heuristics
|| Franziska Eberle & Alexandra Steil
| June 25, 14:15
|| Mixed Integer Programming: Applications and Cutting Plane Approaches
|| Felix Happach & Florian Nitzl
| July 02, 14:15
|| Metaheuristics by Example: Evolutionary Algorithms
|| Erchis Ariunjargal
| July 09, 14:15
|| Speed Up and Presolve Techniques
|| Kristof Bauer und Christian Treubel
| July 16, 14:15
|| Extended Formulations
|| Martina Biberger
- Mandatory: Combinatorial Optimization MA4502 and/or Discrete Optimization MA3502
- Advantageous, but not necessary: Case Studies in Discrete Optimization MA4512 (preferably during the summer term of 2015)
- aktivierende Elemente-Karten:
- Cook, Cunningham, Pulleyblank, Schrijver: Combinatorial Optimization, Wiley Interscience, 1998.
- Korte, Vygen: Combinatorial Optimization: Theory and Algorithms, Springer 2002.
- Papadimitriou, Steiglitz: Combinatorial Optimization, Dover 2001.
- Schrijver: Combinatorial Optimization. Polyhedra and Efficiency. Springer, 2003.
- Jünger et al.: 50 Years of Integer Programming 1958-2008. Springer 2010
- additional literature will be selected according to the topics