Programming Tutorial Discrete Optimization
supported through study contributions
News* 11 Feb Registration open via http://ferienkurse.ma.tum.de
ScheduleAll detailed information on the schedule as well as course materials as distributed via the course's Moodle page. You will get access to that shortly after registration.
DescriptionIn this tutorial, you will learn
- to apply the theory from the lectures Fundamentals of Convex Optimization (MA2504) and Discrete Optimization (MA 3502) to practical examples,
- to use a professional MILP-solver (FICO Xpress) you will practice how to transform a given problem into a Mixed-Integer Linear Programming model, and
- to input the model to the solver and to tailor the solution process to certain properties of the problem.
AgendaYou will get to know the Mosel modelling language that will be used throughout the course. Some linear optimization problems will serve to practice and deepen your knowledge. We then move on to problems of discrete optimization and explore the different possibilities to control the optimization process using cutting planes and Branch & Bound. Throughout the course, the focus lies on practical problems with some brief theory revisions in between. You will work in small groups of 2-3 students to solve the problems and implement the solutions.
- Fundamentals of Convex Optimization (MA2504)
- for the second part: Discrete Optimization (MA 3502) and/or Combinatorial Optimization (MA4502)
- basic programming skills