Combinatorial Optimization, MA4502 (in English)
|Dozent:||Prof. Dr. Raymond Hemmecke|
|Übungsleitung:||Dr. Steffen Borgwardt|
|News||Dates of lectures/exercise classes and office hours||Lecture notes||Tutorials||Exercise sheets||Literature||FAQ|
- Apr 03: Grading of the second exam is finished. You will have the opportunity to review your exam sheets on Thursday, 5.4., 14:00 - 15:00 in room MI 02.04.061.
- Feb 29: Grading of the exam is finished. You will have the opportunity to review your exam sheets on Friday, 2.3., 11:00 - 11:45 in room MI 02.04.011.
- Feb 07: Proposed solutions for all exercises and a second (and final) multiple choice sheet are online.
- Feb 07: Date and time for the second exam are Monday, 2.4., 9:00. The room is TBA. (Recall that you only have to participate successfully in one exam.)
- Jan 12: Due to the length of exercise sheet 5, the discussion of problem 5.2 will be moved to sheet 6. The homework of sheet 5 is problem 5.3, and will be discussed succeeding the sixth exercise classes.
- Jan 02: A pdf version of the first multiple choice sheet is online. Refer to this version if you encounter graphical errors in the online version of the sheet.
- Dec 16: Exercise sheet 5 is online.
- Dec 14: The first multiple choice sheet is online. Click the corresponding link in the Exercise sheets section for an online form. (This is a bonus offer for additional practice.)
- Dec 13: A proposed solution for exercise sheet 3 is online.
- Dec 12: Expected exam date and room: Friday, 24.2., 10:00 in room MW 1350.
- Dec 05: Exercise sheet 4 is online.
- Nov 29: A proposed solution for exercise sheet 2 is online.
- Nov 21: The third exercise sheet is online.
- Nov 18: A proposed solution for exercise sheet 1 is online.
- Nov 15: Updated exercise sheet 2: Added definition of V(C) to correct the statement of exercise 2.4 b).
- Nov 14: The fifth session of exercise class 1 (Wednesday) has been moved (from Dec 21) to Jan 11.
- Nov 09: Date and room for exercise class 2 are Tuesday 4:15 - 5:45 p.m., in MI HS 3! (Corrected time.)
- Oct 31: Exercise class 1 will start 5 minutes earlier, from 10:10 - 11:40 a.m..
- Oct 25: Date and room for exercise class 2 have been fixed to Tuesday 4:15 - 5:45 p.m., in MI HS 3. The first meeting of this class will be on Nov 2, 10:15-11:45 a.m., in MI 02.04.011. (Corrected time.)
- Oct 25: The first exercise sheet is online.
- Oct 20: There is a preliminary date and room for exercise class 2.
- Oct 19: The room for the lecture was changed to MI HS 3!
- Oct 19: The Tutorials section now contains slides on the basics of the tutorial system.
- Oct 19: The scheduling of time and room of exercise class 2 are due to change to accommodate for overlapping lectures. Details TBA.
- Oct 11: Information on the organisation of and registration for the exercise classes is updated. (See Tutorials.)
- Sep 27: Preliminary dates for lectures and exercise classes are online.
Dates of lectures/exercise classes and office hours
|lecture||Wednesday||2:15 - 3:45 p.m.||MI HS 3||Hemmecke||weekly, starting on Oct. 19|
|exercise class 1 (English)||Wednesday||10:10 - 11:40 a.m.||MI 02.04.011||Borgwardt||Oct 26, Nov 9, Nov 23, Dec 7, Jan 11, Jan 18, Feb 1|
|exercise class 2 (German)||Tuesday||4:15 - 5:45 p.m.||MI HS 3||Borgwardt||Nov 2, Nov 15, Nov 29, Dec 13, Jan 10, Jan 24, Feb 7|
|Person||Office hours (during semester)|
|Raymond Hemmecke||by appointment|
|Steffen Borgwardt||by appointment|
ExamThe (first) exam will take place on Friday, 24.2., 10:00 in room MW 1350. It's a closed-book exam, i.e. no utilities, book, etc. beyond a pen are allowed. The exam will take 60 minutes. Date and time for the second exam are Monday, 2.4., 9:00. The room is TBA. (You only have to participate successfully in one exam.)
Lecture notesSee the homepage of last year's lecture for a general overview over the course program.
TutorialsSee tutorial slides for a summary of the basic information about the tutorial system. Registration for the two exercise classes will start on Wednesday 19.10., 18:30 and close on Monday 24.10., 23:59. There are 20 slots for each class. The tutorials are scheduled in a two-week rhythm. The exercise sheets contain homework and tutorial exercises which are worked on during the tutorials. The tutorial exercises then are discussed at the end of the tutorials. As a bonus offer, after the official exercise classes, 15 additional minutes are dedicated to discussing the homework. As another bonus offer, there will be multiple-choice exercise sheets during the term.
Exercise sheetsExercise sheets will be distributed in the exercise classes and uploaded to this section. Start: Wednesday 26.10.
|date||file||solution and notes|
- Cook, Cunningham, Pulleyblank, Schrijver, Combinatorial Optimization, Wiley 1998
- Korte, Vygen, Combinatorial Optimization: Theory and Algorithms, Springer 2002
- Nemhauser, Wolsey: Integer and Combinatorial Optimization 1999
- Papadimitriou, Steiglitz, Combinatorial Optimization: Algorithms and Complexity, Dover 1998
- Wolsey: Integer Programming, 1998
FAQWill the tutorials be in English or in German?
There will be two tutorials, one in English and one in German. However, the exercise sheets will be available in English only. Will the exam be in English or in German?
There will be a written exam with questions in English. Answers will be accepted in both English and German (provided the answers are correct, of course).