Case Studies Discrete Optimization (MA4512)
combined lecture and project work coursesupported through study contributions%SBBANNER%
|Advisors:||Michael Ritter, Fabian Klemm, Wolfgang Riedl|
|weekly hours:||4 hours|
- June 18, 2014: Some preliminary information on the upcoming final workshop is now available at the SCoNDO V website. In particular, you can find some images of our conference venue. More information will be posted on that site over the coming days.
- May 19, 2014: Please do not forget to register for the exam using TUM-Online.
- May 14, 2014: Materials of the special topic lectures as well as installation instructions for Xpress may be found under course materials.
- Mar 27, 2014: Please note that the course schedule has changed: The Wednesday lectures will take place between 14:00 and 16:00 pm.
- Jan 18, 2014: There will be a preliminary meeting for this course on February 7th, 2014, 12:15 pm in room 00.09.022. See below for more details.
- Jan 18, 2014: We offer an optional companion seminar for the case studies, see here for further information.
Preliminary MeetingA preliminary meeting will take place on February 7th, 2014, 12:15 pm in room 00.09.022. At this meeting, we will give you some information about the case studies courses in general, what to expect during the courses, this year's projects, important dates and the registration process. This is a joint meeting for both the "Case Studies Discrete Optimization" and the "Case Studies Nonlinear Optimization". If you cannot come to this meeting but would still like to take the course, some more information will be published here after the meeting. Please note that registration by March1st, 2014 is mandatory! If you have any questions that are not answered here or at the preliminary meeting, please contact Michael Ritter at michael.rittertum.de.
RegistrationRegistration is possible until March 1st, 2014, it is mandatory and binding. To register, please write a short mail to michael.rittertum.de providing the following information:
- last name, first name
- curriculum (of your master's studies and anything that might be related to optimization from your bachelor's studies)
- ranking of the projects (which do you find most interesting, which would be a good alternative etc.); please rank all five projects.
- list of optimization related lectures that you have attended (for lectures from other faculties or univiersities, please give a short description of the topics covered so that we know about your expertise in the field)
- programming skills (programming languages and other programming related skills)
- persons you would like to work with as a team
- If you are registered for the companion seminar please be sure to mention that in your mail.
Poster Presentation and Final WorkshopPlease be sure to reserve the following dates (attendance is absolutely mandatory):
- "TUMMS": Friday, June 13th, 12:00 - 15:00 (where the whole team needs to be present from 13:00 to 14:00 at a completely stocked and staffed presentation booth)
- final workshop: presumably on Saturday, July 5th, 2014 (whole day)
Course ScheduleThe course will take place on Mondays, 10:15 - 11:45 hours, and on Wednesdays, 14:00 - 15:30 hours during the semester. We will (usually) meet in room MI 00.09.022. Updated information will be posted here when available.
|Mon, Apr 07||10:15||MI 00.09.022||first meeting of the course|
|Mon, Apr 14||10:15||MI 00.09.022||poster design|
|Mon, Apr 28||10:15||MI 00.09.022||case study 2|
|Mon, May 05||10:15||MI 00.09.022||case study 4|
|Mon, May 19||10:15||MI 00.07.014||presentation skills|
|Mon, Jun 02||10:15||MI 00.09.022||feedback rules, midterm presentations|
|Fri, Feb 07||12:15||MI 00.09.022||preliminary meeting|
|Fri, Jun 13||12:00 - 15:00||Magistrale||TUMMS poster presentation (core time 13:00 - 14:00)|
|Wed, Apr 10||14:00||MI 00.09.022||project planning and team presentations|
|Wed, Apr 16||14:00||MI 00.09.022||presentation of project schedules|
|Wed, Apr 23||14:00||MI 00.09.022||case study 1|
|Wed, Apr 30||14:00||MI 00.09.022||case study 3|
|Wed, May 07||14:00||MI 00.09.022||internal poster presentation|
|Wed, Jun 04||14:00||MI 00.09.022||midterm presentations|
|Wed, May 14||23:59||hand in final poster and exhibition booth equipment orders|
|Sat, Jul 05||tba||Garching-Hochbrück, Hörsaal 2, 0.01.17||Final Workshop|
- presentation slides:
- homework: devise a project plan for your team (see presentation for details), discuss your project plan with your advisors and prepare a brief presentation for your schedule
- case study paper:
- slides on Lagrangian relaxation:
- script on Lagrangian relaxation:
- slides on column generation:
- slides on final problem review:
- slides on the heuristic approach:
Vehicle Routing Problem
- assignments on Formulations:
- assignments on Bounds:
- slides on Bounds:
- assignment on Cuts:
- slides on Cuts:
- slides on Heuristics:
- script on Heuristics:
- slides on Clustering:
- assignment on k-Means:
- assignment on Power-Diagrams:
- slides on Power-Diagrams:
- recommendations for visual presentations by Hans-Christoph Bartscherer:
- slides regarding visual presentations: (sorry for the powerpoint format, animations were not possible using pdf)
- slide design examples:
- slide design results, slide 1:
- slide design results, slide 2:
- slide design results, slide 3: