- June 2nd, 2016: Today's seminar talk will have to be cancelled.
- Jan 12, 2016: Registration for the seminar will start on TUMOnline on January 18, 2016. Please register no later than January 25, 2016. A second round of registrations will take place afterwards, provided there are places left for the seminar. If you also want to participate in the course Case Studies in Discrete Optimization, please e-mail me at michael.rittertum.de. You will then be given preference for the seminar (provided you actually sign up for the Case Studies until).
|Registration for the seminar is mandatory, there is a limited number of participants. Students who also wish to participate in this year's Case Studies in Discrete Optimization will be given priority. Registration for the seminar will start on January 18, 2016 on TUM-Online, please register until January 25, 2016. If you also want to participate in the course Case Studies in Discrete Optimization, please e-mail me at michael.rittertum.de so that I can give you priority on your seminar registration.|
TopicsWhile the seminar is geared primarily towards students taking the course "Case Studies in Discrete Optimization" (MA4512) during the summer term 2016, it certainly is open to other participants. In this seminar, we will study a variety of practically relevant solution techniques for selected problems in combinatorial optimization. Many topics extend techniques discussed in the courses "Combinatorial Optimization" and/or "Discrete Optimization", but we will also study some specific applications and the methods used there in detail. We will stress a thorough development of the theoretical background in addition to application specific aspects. For students that also take the "Case Studies" course, the seminar topics will be selected to complement the hands-on work that they will focus on in the case studies course. Topics will be selected according to participants' backgrounds and in particular with respect to the projects of the case studies course if applicable.
Talks and ScheduleWe will meet at the following times:
|Date and Time||Room||Topic||Presenter|
||MI 02.06.020||Approximations Schemes with an Application to TSP||Markus Kellerer|
|Mon, June 20th, 10:15||MI 00.09.022||Branching Strategies||Jens Hönen|
|Thu, June 9th, 14:15||MI 02.06.020||Heuristics: Evolutionary Algorithms||Zou Congyu|
|Mon, June 13th, 10:15||MI 00.09.022||Lift and Project||Alexander Eckl|
|Wed, June 15th, 14:00||MI 00.09.022||Mixed Integer Programming||Martin Sutter|
|April 14th, 14:15||MI 02.06.020||Organisation, Introduction, Topics||Michael Ritter and seminar participants|
|Mon, May 9th, 10:15||MI 00.09.022||Randomized Algorithms||Jakob Gawlikowski|
|Wed, June 22nd, 14:00||MI 00.09.022||Symmetry Issues in Integer Programming||Michael Haberl|
|Thu, May 12th, 14:15||MI 02.06.020||Vehicle Routing Problems||Annika Treyer|
- Mandatory: Combinatorial Optimization MA4502 and/or Discrete Optimization MA3502
- Advantageous, but not necessary: Case Studies in Discrete Optimization MA4512 (preferably during the summer term of 2016)
- Cook, Cunningham, Pulleyblank, Schrijver: Combinatorial Optimization, Wiley Interscience, 1998.
- Korte, Vygen: Combinatorial Optimization: Theory and Algorithms, Springer 2002.
- Papadimitriou, Steiglitz: Combinatorial Optimization, Dover 2001.
- Schrijver: Combinatorial Optimization. Polyhedra and Efficiency. Springer, 2003.
- Jünger et al.: 50 Years of Integer Programming 1958-2008. Springer 2010
- additional literature will be selected according to the topics