Programming Tutorial Discrete Optimization
supported through study contributions %SBBANNER%
- 17 Apr Please enroll in moodle course
- 28 Mar Schedule updated
- 15 Mar Registration is open via http://ferienkurse.ma.tum.de
- 02 Feb Details for the course (finalized dates, room, registration, lecturer,... ) will follow soon!
|Wed, April, 19th 2017||9:30 - 12:00 and 13:00 - ca. 17:00||02.04.011|
|Thur, April, 20th 2017||9:30 - 12:00 and 13:00 - ca. 17:00||02.04.011|
|Fri, April, 21st 2017||9:30 - 12:00 and 13:00 - ca. 16:00||02.04.011|
DescriptionIn this tutorial, you will learn to apply the theory from the lectures Fundamentals of Convex Optimization (MA2504) und Discrete Optimization (MA 3502) to practical examples. Using a professional MILP-solver (FICO Xpress) you will practice how to transform a given problem into a Mixed-Integer Linear Programming model, to input the model to the solver and to tailor the solution process to certain properties of the problem. The tutorial is reccomended as a preparation for advanced optimization classes (especially Case Studies Discrete Optimization) as well as Bachelor's and Master's theses. Agenda You will get to know the Mosel programming language that will be used throughout the course. Some linear optimization problems will serve to practice and deepen your knowledge. We then move on to problems of discrete optimization and explore the different possibilities to control the optimization process using cutting planes and Branch & Bound. Throughout the course, the focus lies on practical problems with some brief theory revisions in between. You will work in small groups of 2-3 students to solve the problems and implement the solutions.
- Fundamentals of Convex Optimization (MA2504) (or the previously offered Lineare Optimierung (MA3501))
- for the second part: Discrete Optimization (MA 3502) and/or Combinatorial Optimization (MA4502)
- basic programming skills